The holidays are upon us and temptation is all around. How can you enjoy all the festivities without sabotaging your progress? Check out these top 10 tips to help keep you inline with your goals:
- Plan Ahead – Know what and how much you are going to eat before you go to your Turkey Dinner or Holiday Party. Load up on veggies (sans butter of course!) and the turkey (assuming its not fried that is…) for your proper portions of 1/3 Lean Protein and 2/3 Complex Carbs!
- Start Off Right with a Healthy Breakfast – Get in at least one healthy meal to prevent over-eating later in the day. Your breakfast should be protein based and consumed within an hour of waking up. The Herbalife Formula 1 Nutrition shake is a tasty and convenient option for your healthy breakfast!
- Keep Busy – If you’re hosting and cooking you’re burning calories. If you’re a guest help with the clean up and support the host. Keeping busy can keep your attention off that dessert table (and can help you burn calories too!).
- Contribute the Healthy Foods – If you are hosting, the good news is you have control over what to make and how to prepare it. If you aren’t hosting, plan to bring a healthy option like baked sweet potatoes, or steamed veggies.
- Holiday Replacements – Making the choice between a healthier alternative will not only save you calories and fat, it will give you peace of mind while still enjoying the taste of good food.
- Watch Portions – Eat one plate of food, avoid going back for seconds…or thirds…or uh oh…it could get ugly from there! Or if you are like me, opt for a smaller first plate knowing you’re going up for that second plate. If done correctly, two small plates will equal the same as 1 big plate but psychologically you’ll feel satisfied thinking you got more.
- Take Time to Really Enjoy Your Food – Make sure you pause and really taste the food before going to the next bite. Drink water and put down your fork between bites. It’s about quality not quantity.
- Use the “3 Bite Rule” – If there is something you really love, go ahead and have it, but don’t overindulge. Try the ‘3-bite’ rule as a starting point where you get to have 3 bites of your favorite indulgence. By the 3rd bite, you’ll find you already have the flavor, the satisfaction from having it, and are probably not hungry – so no need to finish it right?
- Focus on Family and Friends, Not Food – Keep in mind it’s not an eating contest, its a family event. The whole point of the holiday is to give thanks for family and all of the great things in our lives. Sometimes we get so wrapped up in food, that we forget the people there are the most important part.
- Enroll Your Family and Friends in What You Are Up To – Ask for support and let them know how important your health and weight loss progress is to you. Most likely – they’ll respond with tons of support and love for you.
Always remember that living a healthy lifestyle is an ongoing journey, one with ups and downs, successes and challenges, and many learning experiences. We all get off track but the key is always finding your way back. Should you ever need that extra support or accountability, I’m here for you. Wishing you an amazing rest of the year and a joyful holiday season!