Holiday Season has crept up on us fast with endless invitations to cocktail hours, ugly sweater parties and festive dinners. It’s no wonder why the average American gains weight over the holidays. Don’t let that be you! Take theses top 10 tips to help keep you in line with your health goals through Thanksgiving dinner and beyond.
- Plan Ahead – Know what you are going to eat and how much before you go to your Turkey Dinner. Load up on veggies (sans butter of course!) and the turkey (assuming its not fried that is…) for your proper portions of 1/3 Lean Protein and 2/3 Complex Carbs!
- Start Off Right with a Healthy Breakfast – Get at least one healthy meal in to prevent over-eating later in the day. You could even have the Herbalife Pumpkin Shake for breakfast!
- Keep Busy – If you’re hosting and cooking, you’re burning calories. If you’re a guest, help with the clean up and support the host. Keeping busy can keep your attention off that dessert table (and can help you burn calories too!).
- Contribute the Healthy Foods – If you are hosting Thanksgiving, the good news is you have control over what to make and how to prepare it. If you aren’t hosting, plan to bring a healthy option like baked sweet potatoes, or steamed veggies.
- Holiday Replacements – Making the choice between a healthier alternative will not only save you calories and fat it, will give you peace of mind while still enjoying the taste of good food (see below)
- Watch Portions – Eat one plate of food, avoid going back for seconds…or thirds…or uh oh…it could get ugly from there! Or do what I do and intentionally make your first plate small knowing you plan to go back for seconds.
- Take Time to Really Enjoy Your Food – Make sure you pause and really taste the food before going to the next bite. Drink water and put down your fork between bites. It’s about quality not quantity.
- Use the “3 Bite Rule” – If there is something you really love, go ahead and have it, but don’t overindulge. Try the ‘3-bite’ rule as a starting point where you get to have 3 bites of your favorite indulgence. By the 3rd bite, you’ll find you already have the flavor, the satisfaction from having it, and are probably not hungry – so no need to finish it right?
- Focus on Family and Friends, Not Food – Keep in mind it’s not an eating contest, its a family event. The whole point of the holiday is to give thanks for family and all of the great things in our lives. Sometimes we get so wrapped up in food, that we forget the people there are the most important part.
- Enroll Your Family and Friends in What You Are Up To – Ask for support and let them know how important your health and weight loss progress is to you. Most likely – they’ll respond with tons of support and love for you.
- 2 tbs of spinach dip with hummus and save 120 cals, 12g fat
- A biscuit with a small whole-wheat roll and save 100 cals, 8g fat
- 4oz of ham with skinless turkey breast and save 71 cals, 9 g fat
- A slice of pumpkin pie with a cup of spiced fat-free vanilla pudding (or a slice of Herbalife Pumpkin Pie, see below) and save 140 cals, 8g fat
- A slice of apple pie with a baked apple and save 200 cals, 2g fat
Nutritious Herbalife Pumpkin Pie
- 1 Cup Formula 1 Vanilla Shake Mix
- 1-1/4 Cup Nonfat Milk or Soy Milk
- 1 Cup Pumpkin
- 1 Tsp Pumpkin Spice
- 1 Sml Pkg Sugar/Fat Free Vanilla Pudding
- 1 Reduced Fat Graham Cracker Crust
- Nonfat Cool Whip
Directions: Mix first 4 ingredients then add pudding mix until blended well; pour into crust and top with cool whip
Makes 8 servings, ea. serving equals 200 calories and 100% of your RDA of nutrients